Street Legal in Nevada

Mar 16, 2014 0 11818 Views

It is finally here, we can not register our Side by Sides to be Street Legal.  Now this doesn’t mean you can drive down the strip with your RZR.  But when we visit towns like Caliente or Tonapha we no longer have to worry about driving out Side by Sides in town.  You can not drive them in cities with 100,000 more residents or cities, and towns that have laws regarding ATV’s and street legal status.

When you register your Side by Side, you need to make sure you select the new option, Large ATV.


What qualifies for Street Legal?

So, I started with the requirements in NRS 490.120. It says your Side by Side needs the following:

  1. At least one headlamp
  2. At least one tail lamp
  3. At least one red reflector on the rear of the vehicle
  4. A stop lamp on the rear of the vehicle
  5. A muffler

Nearly all Side by Sides meet these requirements.


Do I need insurance?

You need to have insurance. This is referenced in NRS 490.0825 and specifically in NRS 485.185. Basically, it says you need insurance that is:

  1. An insurance company licensed in this state.
  2. $15,000 for bodily injury to or death of one person in any one accident
  3. $30,000 for bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in any one accident
  4. $10,000 for destruction of property


The Process

Step 1

First is your Side by Side a new registration?  If it is, you need to go to one of the dealerships and get the Vin inspected.  They will also fill out the forms for you. But you need to make sure you select Large OHV before you sign off.


But if your Side By Side has been registered, you will need to pay attention to what form you need to use.

How to Know with Form to use?


(If you purchased your RZR after July 2012, there is a different form. It’s essentially the same. APPLICATION FOR OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE REGISTRATION DECAL
. Note there are different forms for out of state dealers, private party sales, etc. – scroll to the bottom of the page)

Anyway, you should fill this form out, just check the box for “Large All Terrain Vehicle”.


Then, take this form down to a Notary Public – Your Local bank will normally have someone that can do this for you.


Step 2

Next up is this form: LARGE ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLE INSURANCE DECLARATION. Pull out your insurance card and transfer the insurance details, as well as your Driver’s License information, to this form and sign it (no Notary this time).

Step 3

I paid by check. That and both forms went into an envelope, and I mailed it to the Wright Way address. In as little as six days later, voila – a new registration sticker!


What does this get us?

This makes your RZR street legal under NRS 490.105. Please note this is NOT carte blanche to ride (oops, drive) your RZR willy-nilly on any paved road you want.

Quite literally, you are given permission to drive on only two types of roadways:

  1. County “General roads”
  2. County “Minor roads”

That’s it. If you are inside an incorporated city, those are no longer county roads. If it’s a Nevada State Highway, that, too, isn’t a county road.

However, the vast majority of rural Nevada roads DO fall into something we can drive on. Generally, if it’s two-lane blacktop with a speed limit of 45 mph or less, it’s fair game. Don’t be silly and try to drive on I-80, or down the Vegas strip, or something.

This opens up a lot of territory – for example, we can ride the Black Rock desert, and drive our RZR right into downtown Gerlach and get dinner at Bruno’s.

Each county can pass laws restricting NRS 490. For example, here in Washoe County, you are limited to roads with a speed limit of 35 mph or less. As far as we can tell, that’s the only example in Nevada so far.

2012 Polaris XP4 900 - Pro Armor Doors, and Hardness's, Tribal Whip.

View all post by
@ Copyright 2014 Dunes and Trails ATV | All rights Reserved | Website Designed & Maintained by Infiniti Web Solutions